Thursday, April 18, 2013

Books vs Ebooks: Why I prefer ebooks.

Anyone who follows me on google+ might be well aware that when it comes to my reading material I prefer it to come in ebook format, specifically any format that allows me to edit the text font, spacing and paragraph breaks within my reader app of choice*.

There's a couple of reasons for this. I find ebooks a lot easier to work with. There's no bulky object to carry besides my normal stuff, a big advantage. I can carry my whole library in my Nexus 7.
In fact, a well done ebook is a lot more versatile than a traditional book. Besides the weight issue, there's the space issue. Ebooks don't occupy any space on your shelf (unfortunately they don't look pretty on it either). 

Then there's light. To a read a book decently you need to find yourself in a well lit environment, which for people on the go or who enjoy reading in the dark (like, say, in bed before sleep) tends to be impractical. 

When reading your favorite book on your device of choice, you generally don't have to worry about the light, since the screen will emit its own and in modern devices is usually bright enough to fight most sun glare. 


I think in technical terms the only real con is that ebooks have batteries, or rather, the devices that display them do. It's entirely feasible for you to be reading your favorite book and the battery just dying on you. 


However, I don't think that is enough of a problem to seriously consider going back to books all the time. Now, if they just gave me a book and ebook price package I'd be one happy girl.



*That would currently be Mantano Ebook Reader (Play Store)